Construction of a log church began in late 1866, with the first service on March 10, 1867. Ten years later, this small church (45seats) was demolished to make way for the present ‘Early English’ style church which rose to completion by February 1876 with seating for 100.
This is the story of St Peter’s. It is all about the passion of the people of the Cowichan Valley and their desire for an Anglican community here. At that time, they would have been settling on un-cleared land and living a difficult pioneer life. St Peter’s would have been the focus for all of life’s important traditions – baptisms, marriages, and funerals. Like today, it would have been a place of peace and solace for those worshipping here. St Peter’s Church was thriving even before our province of British Columbia joined Confederation!
Please donate to the Capital Project and help us preserve and restore St Peter’s. Let’s honour the past and hand our church on to the leadership of tomorrow.